To understand the essential principles of Physics of semiconductor device and Electron transport properties. Become proficient in magnetic, dielectric and optical properties of materials and nano devices.
UNIT I ELECTRICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS 9
Classical free electron theory – Expression for electrical conductivity – Thermal conductivity,expression – Wiedemann-Franz law – Success and failures – electrons in metals – Particle in a three dimensional box – degenerate states – Fermi- Dirac statistics – Density of energy states –Electron in periodic potential: Bloch thorem – metals and insulators – Energy bands in solids– tight binding approximation – Electron effective mass – concept of hole.
UNIT II SEMICONDUCTOR PHYSICS 9
Intrinsic Semiconductors – Energy band diagram – direct and indirect semiconductors – Carrier concentration in intrinsic semiconductors – extrinsic semiconductors – Carrier concentration in Ntype & P-type semiconductors – Carrier transport: Velocity-electric field relations – drift and diffusion transport – Einstein‘s relation – Hall effect and devices – Zener and avalanche breakdown in p-n junctions – Ohmic contacts – tunnel diode – Schottky diode – MOS capacitor -power transistor.
UNIT III MAGNETIC AND DIELECTRIC PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS 9
Magnetism in materials – magnetic field and induction – magnetization – magnetic permeability and susceptibility–types of magnetic materials – microscopic classification of magnetic materials -Ferromagnetism: origin and exchange interaction- saturation magnetization and Curie temperature – Domain Theory. Dielectric materials: Polarization processes – dielectric loss – internal field –Clausius-Mosotti relation- dielectric breakdown – high-k dielectrics.
UNIT IV OPTICAL PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS 9
Classification of optical materials – carrier generation and recombination processes – Absorption emission and scattering of light in metals, insulators and Semiconductors (concepts only) – photo current in a P- N diode – solar cell –photo detectors – LED – Organic LED – Laser diodes –excitons – quantum confined Stark effect – quantum dot laser.
UNIT V NANOELECTRONIC DEVICES 9
Introduction – electron density in bulk material – Size dependence of Fermi energy– quantum confinement – quantum structures – Density of states in quantum well, quantum wire and quantum dot structures –Zener-Bloch oscillations – resonant tunneling – quantum interference effects –mesoscopic structures: conductance fluctuations and coherent transport – Coulomb blockade effects – Single electron phenomena and Single electron Transistor – magnetic semiconductors–spintronics – Carbon nanotubes: Properties and applications.
TOTAL :45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the students will able to
- Gain knowledge on classical and quantum electron theories, and energy band structuues,
- Acquire knowledge on basics of semiconductor physics and its applications in various devices,
- Get knowledge on magnetic and dielectric properties of materials,
- Have the necessary understanding on the functioning of optical materials for optoelectronics,
- Understand the basics of quantum structures and their applications in spintronics and carbon electronics..
- 1. Kasap, S.O. ―Principles of Electronic Materials and Devices‖, McGraw-Hill Education, 2007.
- 2. Umesh K Mishra & Jasprit Singh, ―Semiconductor Device Physics and Design‖, Springer, 2008.
- 3. Wahab, M.A. ―Solid State Physics: Structure and Properties of Materials‖. Narosa Publishing House, 2009.
- 1. Garcia, N. & Damask, A. ―Physics for Computer Science Students‖. Springer-Verlag,2012.
- 2. Hanson, G.W. ―Fundamentals of Nanoelectronics‖. Pearson Education, 2009 3. Rogers, B., Adams, J. & Pennathur, S. ―Nanotechnology: Understanding Small Systems‖. CRC Press, 2014