To enable the students to study the evolution of Management, to study the functions and
principles of management and to learn the application of the principles in an organization .
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATIONS 9
Definition of Management – Science or Art – Manager Vs Entrepreneur – types of managers -managerial roles and skills – Evolution of Management – Scientific, human relations , system and contingency approaches – Types of Business organization – Sole proprietorship, partnership,company-public and private sector enterprises – Organization culture and Environment – Current trends and issues in Management.
UNIT II PLANNING 9
Nature and purpose of planning – planning process – types of planning – objectives – setting objectives – policies – Planning premises – Strategic Management – Planning Tools and Techniques – Decision making steps and process.
UNIT III ORGANISING 9
Nature and purpose – Formal and informal organization – organization chart – organization structure – types – Line and staff authority – departmentalization – delegation of authority –centralization and decentralization – Job Design – Human Resource Management – HR Planning,Recruitment, selection, Training and Development, Performance Management , Career planning and management
UNIT IV DIRECTING 9
Foundations of individual and group behaviour – motivation – motivation theories – motivational techniques – job satisfaction – job enrichment – leadership – types and theories of leadership –communication – process of communication – barrier in communication – effective communication
–communication and IT.
UNIT V CONTROLLING 9
System and process of controlling – budgetary and non-budgetary control techniques – use of computers and IT in Management control – Productivity problems and management – control and performance – direct and preventive control – reporting.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to have clear understanding of
managerial functions like planning, organizing, staffing, leading & controlling and have same
basic knowledge on international aspect of management
1. Stephen P. Robbins & Mary Coulter, ―Management‖, Prentice Hall (India) Pvt. Ltd., 10th Edition,2009.
2. JAF Stoner, Freeman R.E and Daniel R Gilbert ―Management‖, Pearson Education, 6th Edition, 2004.
1. Stephen A. Robbins & David A. Decenzo & Mary Coulter, ―Fundamentals of Management‖ Pearson Education, 7th Edition, 2011.
2. Robert Kreitner & Mamata Mohapatra, ― Management‖, Biztantra, 2008.
3. Harold Koontz & Heinz Weihrich ―Essentials of management‖ Tata McGraw Hill,1998.
4. Tripathy PC & Reddy PN, ―Principles of Management‖, Tata McGraw Hill, 1999