• Strengthen the reading skills of students of engineering.
• Enhance their writing skills with specific reference to technical writing.
• Develop students‘ critical thinking skills.
• Provide more opportunities to develop their project and proposal writing skills.
Reading – Strategies for effective reading-Use glosses and footnotes to aid reading comprehension- Read and recognize different text types-Predicting content using photos and title Writing-Plan before writing- Develop a paragraph: topic sentence, supporting sentences, concluding sentence –Write a descriptive paragraph
Reading-Read for details-Use of graphic organizers to review and aid comprehension Writing-State reasons and examples to support ideas in writing- Write a paragraph with reasons and examples- Write an opinion paragraph
Reading- Understanding pronoun reference and use of connectors in a passage- speed reading techniques-Writing- Elements of a good essay-Types of essays- descriptive-narrative- issue-based-argumentative-analytical.
Reading- Genre and Organization of Ideas- Writing- Email writing- visumes – Job application- project writing-writing convincing proposals.
Reading- Critical reading and thinking- understanding how the text positions the reader- identify Writing- Statement of Purpose- letter of recommendation- Vision statement
TOTAL: 30 PERIODS
OUTCOMES: At the end of the course Learners will be able to:
Write different types of essays.
Write winning job applications.
Read and evaluate texts critically.
Display critical thinking in various professional contexts.
1. Gramer F. Margot and Colin S. Ward Reading and Writing (Level 3) Oxford University Press: Oxford, 2011
2. Debra Daise, CharlNorloff, and Paul Carne Reading and Writing (Level 4) Oxford University Press: Oxford, 2011
1. Davis, Jason and Rhonda LIss.Effective Academic Writing (Level 3) Oxford University Press: Oxford, 2006
2. E. Suresh Kumar and et al. Enriching Speaking and Writing Skills. Second Edition. Orient Black swan: Hyderabad, 2012
3. Withrow, Jeans and et al. Inspired to Write. Readings and Tasks to develop writing skills. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2004
4. Goatly, Andrew. Critical Reading and Writing. Routledge: United States of America, 2000
5. Petelin, Roslyn and Marsh Durham. The Professional Writing Guide: Knowing Well and Knowing Why. Business & Professional Publishing: Australia, 2004
- Regulation 2017 GE8151 Problem Solving and Python Programming Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 CS8251 Programming in C Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8391 Data Structures Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 CS8392 Object Oriented Programming Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation Computer Science Engineering Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 HS8151 Communicative English Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 MA8151 Engineering Mathematics I Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation PH8151 Engineering Physics Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CY8151 Engineering Chemistry Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation GE8152 Engineering Graphics Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 HS8251 Technical English Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation MA8251 Engineering Mathematics II Syllabus