- To learn discrete fourier transform, properties of DFT and its application to linear filtering
- To understand the characteristics of digital filters, design digital IIR and FIR filters and
- apply these filters to filter undesirable signals in various frequency bands
- To understand the effects of finite precision representation on digital filters
- To understand the fundamental concepts of multi rate signal processing and its applications
- To introduce the concepts of adaptive filters and its application to communication engineering
UNIT I DISCRETE FOURIER TRANSFORM 12
Review of signals and systems, concept of frequency in discrete-time signals, summary of analysis & synthesis equations for FT & DTFT, frequency domain sampling, Discrete Fourier transform (DFT) – deriving DFT from DTFT, properties of DFT – periodicity, symmetry, circular convolution. Linear filtering using DFT. Filtering long data sequences – overlap save and overlap add method. Fast computation of DFT – Radix-2 Decimation-in-time (DIT) Fast Fourier transform (FFT), Decimation-in-frequency (DIF) Fast Fourier transform (FFT). Linear filtering using FFT.
UNIT II INFINITE IMPULSE RESPONSE FILTERS 12
Characteristics of practical frequency selective filters. characteristics of commonly used analog filters – Butterworth filters, Chebyshev filters. Design of IIR filters from analog filters (LPF, HPF,BPF, BRF) – Approximation of derivatives, Impulse invariance method, Bilinear transformation.Frequency transformation in the analog domain. Structure of IIR filter – direct form I, direct form II,Frequency transformation in the analog domain. Structure of IIR filter – direct form I, direct form II,Cascade, parallel realizations.
UNIT III FINITE IMPULSE RESPONSE FILTERS 12
Design of FIR filters – symmetric and Anti-symmetric FIR filters – design of linear phase FIR filters using Fourier series method – FIR filter design using windows (Rectangular, Hamming and Hanning window), Frequency sampling method. FIR filter structures – linear phase structure,direct form realizations
UNIT IV FINITE WORD LENGTH EFFECTS 12
Fixed point and floating point number representation – ADC – quantization – truncation and rounding – quantization noise – input / output quantization – coefficient quantization error – product quantization error – overflow error – limit cycle oscillations due to product quantization and summation – scaling to prevent overflow.
UNIT V INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSORS 12
DSP functionalities – circular buffering – DSP architecture – Fixed and Floating point architecture principles – Programming – Application examples.
At the end of the course, the student should be able to
- Apply DFT for the analysis of digital signals and systems
- Design IIR and FIR filters
- Characterize the effects of finite precision representation on digital filters
- Design multirate filters
- Apply adaptive filters appropriately in communication systems
1. John G. Proakis & Dimitris G.Manolakis, ―Digital Signal Processing – Principles,Algorithms & Applications‖, Fourth Edition, Pearson Education / Prentice Hall, 2007.(UNIT I – V)
- 1. Emmanuel C. Ifeachor & Barrie. W. Jervis, ―Digital Signal Processing‖, Second Edition,Pearson Education / Prentice Hall, 2002.
- 2. A. V. Oppenheim, R.W. Schafer and J.R. Buck, ―Discrete-Time Signal Processing‖, 8th Indian Reprint, Pearson, 2004.
- 3. Sanjit K. Mitra, ―Digital Signal Processing – A Computer Based Approach‖, Tata Mc Graw Hill, 2007.
- 4. Andreas Antoniou, ―Digital Signal Processing‖, Tata Mc Graw Hill, 2006.
- Regulation 2017 PH8253 Physics For Electronics Engineering Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 BE8254 Basic Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8251 Circuit Analysis Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8252 Electronics Devices Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 MA8352 Linear Algebra And Partial Differential Equations Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8352 Signals And Systems Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8392 Digital Electronics Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8391 Control Systems Engineering Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 HS8381 Interpersonal Skills Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 MA8451 Probability And Random Processes Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8452 Electronic Circuits II Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8491 Communication Theory Syllabus