- To know the principles of sampling & quantization
- To study the various waveform coding schemes
- To learn the various baseband transmission schemes
- To understand the various band pass signaling schemes
- To know the fundamentals of channel coding
UNIT I INFORMATION THEORY 9
Discrete Memoryless source, Information, Entropy, Mutual Information – Discrete Memoryless channels – Binary Symmetric Channel, Channel Capacity – Hartley – Shannon law – Source coding theorem – Shannon – Fano & Huffman codes.
UNIT II WAVEFORM CODING & REPRESENTATION 9
Prediction filtering and DPCM – Delta Modulation – ADPCM & ADM principles-Linear Predictive Coding- Properties of Line codes- Power Spectral Density of Unipolar / Polar RZ & NRZ – Bipolar NRZ – Manchester
UNIT III BASEBAND TRANSMISSION & RECEPTION 9
ISI – Nyquist criterion for distortion less transmission – Pulse shaping – Correlative coding – Eye pattern – Receiving Filters- Matched Filter, Correlation receiver, Adaptive Equalization
UNIT IV DIGITAL MODULATION SCHEME 9
Geometric Representation of signals – Generation, detection, PSD & BER of Coherent BPSK,BFSK & QPSK – QAM – Carrier Synchronization – Structure of Non-coherent Receivers – Principle of DPSK.
UNIT V ERROR CONTROL CODING 9
Channel coding theorem – Linear Block codes – Hamming codes – Cyclic codes – Convolutional codes – Viterbi Decoder.
Upon completion of the course, the student should be able to
- Design PCM systems
- Design and implement base band transmission schemes
- Design and implement band pass signaling schemes
- Analyze the spectral characteristics of band pass signaling schemes and their noise performance
- Design error control coding schemes
1. S. Haykin, ―Digital Communications‖, John Wiley, 2005 (Unit I –V)
- 1. B. Sklar, ―Digital Communication Fundamentals and Applications‖, 2nd Edition, Pearson Education, 2009
- 2. B.P.Lathi, ―Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems‖ 3rd Edition, Oxford University Press 2007.
- 3. H P Hsu, Schaum Outline Series – ―Analog and Digital Communications‖, TMH 2006
- 4. J.G Proakis, ―Digital Communication‖, 4th Edition, Tata Mc Graw Hill Company, 2001.