- To understand the methods of biasing transistors
- To design and analyze single stage and multistage amplifier circuits
- To analyze the frequency response of small signal amplifiers
- To design and analyze the regulated DC power supplies.
- To troubleshoot and fault analysis of power supplies.
UNIT I BIASING OF DISCRETE BJT, JFET AND MOSFET 9
BJT– Need for biasing – DC Load Line and Bias Point – DC analysis of Transistor circuits – Various biasing methods of BJT – Bias Circuit Design – Thermal stability – Stability factors – Bias compensation techniques using Diode, thermistor and sensistor – Biasing BJT Switching CircuitsJFET – DC Load Line and Bias Point – Various biasing methods of JFET – JFET Bias Circuit Design – MOSFET Biasing – Biasing FET Switching Circuits.
UNIT II BJT AMPLIFIERS 9
Small Signal Hybrid π equivalent circuit of BJT – Early effect – Analysis of CE, CC and CB amplifiers using Hybrid π equivalent circuits – AC Load Line Analysis- Darlington Amplifier -Bootstrap technique – Cascade, Cascode configurations – Differential amplifier, Basic BJT differential pair – Small signal analysis and CMRR.
UNIT III SINGLE STAGE FET, MOSFET AMPLIFIERS 9
Small Signal Hybrid π equivalent circuit of FET and MOSFET – Analysis of CS, CD and CG amplifiers using Hybrid π equivalent circuits – Basic FET differential pair- BiCMOS circuits.
UNIT IV FREQUENCY RESPONSE OF AMPLIFIERS 9
Amplifier frequency response – Frequency response of transistor amplifiers with circuit capacitors – BJT frequency response – short circuit current gain – cut off frequency – fα, fβ and unity gain bandwidth – Miller effect – frequency response of FET – High frequency analysis of CE and MOSFET CS amplifier – Transistor Switching Times.
UNIT V POWER SUPPLIES AND ELECTRONIC DEVICE TESTING 9
Linear mode power supply – Rectifiers – Filters – Half-Wave Rectifier Power Supply – Full-Wave Rectifier Power Supply – Voltage regulators: Voltage regulation – Linear series, shunt and switching Voltage Regulators – Over voltage protection – BJT and MOSFET – Switched mode power supply (SMPS) – Power Supply Performance and Testing – Troubleshooting and Fault Analysis, Design of Regulated DC Power Supply.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
After studying this course, the student should be able to:
- Acquire knowledge of
- Working principles, characteristics and applications of BJT and FET
- Frequency response characteristics of BJT and FET amplifiers
- Analyze the performance of small signal BJT and FET amplifiers – single stage and multi stage amplifiers
- Apply the knowledge gained in the design of Electronic circuits
1. Donald. A. Neamen, Electronic Circuits Analysis and Design, 3rd Edition, Mc Graw Hill Education (India) Private Ltd., 2010. (Unit I-IV)
2. Robert L. Boylestad and Louis Nasheresky, ―Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory‖, 11th Edition, Pearson Education, 2013. (Unit V)
- 1. Millman J, Halkias.C.and Sathyabrada Jit, Electronic Devices and Circuits, 4th Edition, Mc Graw Hill Education (India) Private Ltd., 2015.
- 2. Salivahanan and N. Suresh Kumar, Electronic Devices and Circuits, 4th Edition, , Mc Graw Hill Education (India) Private Ltd., 2017.
- 3. Floyd, Electronic Devices, Ninth Edition, Pearson Education, 2012.
- 4. David A. Bell, Electronic Devices & Circuits, 5th Edition, Oxford University Press, 2008.
- 5. Anwar A. Khan and Kanchan K. Dey, A First Course on Electronics, PHI, 2006.
- 6. Rashid M, Microelectronics Circuits, Thomson Learning, 2007.