- To learn the fundamentals of Green Computing.
- To analyze the Green computing Grid Framework.
- To understand the issues related with Green compliance.
- To study and develop various case studies.
UNIT I FUNDAMENTALS 9
Green IT Fundamentals: Business, IT, and the Environment – Green computing: carbon foot print, scoop on power – Green IT Strategies: Drivers, Dimensions, and Goals –Environmentally Responsible Business: Policies, Practices, and Metrics.
UNIT II GREEN ASSETS AND MODELING 9
Green Assets: Buildings, Data Centers, Networks, and Devices – Green Business Process Management: Modeling, Optimization, and Collaboration – Green Enterprise Architecture – Environmental Intelligence – Green Supply Chains – Green Information Systems: Design and Development Models.
UNIT III GRID FRAMEWORK 9
Virtualization of IT systems – Role of electric utilities, Telecommuting, teleconferencing and teleporting – Materials recycling – Best ways for Green PC – Green Data center –Green Grid framework.
UNIT IV GREEN COMPLIANCE 9
Socio-cultural aspects of Green IT – Green Enterprise Transformation Roadmap –Green Compliance: Protocols, Standards, and Audits – Emergent Carbon Issues:Technologies and Future.
UNIT V CASE STUDIES 9
The Environmentally Responsible Business Strategies (ERBS) – Case Study Scenarios for Trial Runs – Case Studies – Applying Green IT Strategies and Applications to a Home, Hospital, Packaging Industry and Telecom Sector.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to:
- Acquire knowledge to adopt green computing practices to minimize negative impacts on the environment.
- Enhance the skill in energy saving practices in their use of hardware.
- Evaluate technology tools that can reduce paper waste and carbon footprint by the stakeholders.
- Understand the ways to minimize equipment disposal requirements .
1. Bhuvan Unhelkar, ―Green IT Strategies and Applications-Using Environmental Intelligence‖, CRC Press, June 2014.
2. Woody Leonhard, Katherine Murray, ―Green Home computing for dummies‖,August 2012.
- Alin Gales, Michael Schaefer, Mike Ebbers, ―Green Data Center: steps for the Journey‖, Shroff/IBM rebook, 2011.
- John Lamb, ―The Greening of IT‖, Pearson Education, 2009.
- Jason Harris, ―Green Computing and Green IT- Best Practices on regulations & industry‖, Lulu.com, 2008
- Carl speshocky, ―Empowering Green Initiatives with IT‖, John Wiley & Sons, 2010.
- Wu Chun Feng (editor), ―Green computing: Large Scale energy efficiency‖, CRC Press