This course aims at providing the required skill to apply the statistical tools in engineering problems.
To introduce the basic concepts of probability and random variables.
To introduce the basic concepts of two dimensional random variables.
To acquaint the knowledge of testing of hypothesis for small and large samples which plays an important role in real life problems.
To introduce the basic concepts of classifications of design of experiments which plays very important roles in the field of agriculture and statistical quality control.
UNIT I PROBABILITY AND RANDOM VARIABLES 12
Probability – The axioms of probability – Conditional probability – Baye‘s theorem – Discrete and continuous random variables – Moments – Moment generating functions – Binomial, Poisson, Geometric, Uniform, Exponential and Normal distributions.
UNIT II TWO – DIMENSIONAL RANDOM VARIABLES 12
Joint distributions – Marginal and conditional distributions – Covariance – Correlation and linear regression – Transformation of random variables – Central limit theorem (for independent and identically distributed random variables).
UNIT III TESTING OF HYPOTHESIS 12
Sampling distributions – Estimation of parameters – Statistical hypothesis – Large sample tests based on Normal distribution for single mean and difference of means -Tests based on t, Chi-square and F distributions for mean, variance and proportion – Contingency table (test for independent) – Goodness of fit.
UNIT IV DESIGN OF EXPERIMENTS 12
One way and Two way classifications – Completely randomized design – Randomized block design – Latin square design – 22 factorial design.
UNIT V STATISTICAL QUALITY CONTROL `12
Control charts for measurements (X and R charts) – Control charts for attributes (p, c and np charts) – Tolerance limits – Acceptance sampling. TOTAL : 60 PERIODS
OUTCOMES: Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
Understand the fundamental knowledge of the concepts of probability and have knowledge of standard distributions which can describe real life phenomenon.
Understand the basic concepts of one and two dimensional random variables and apply in engineering applications.
Apply the concept of testing of hypothesis for small and large samples in real life problems.
Apply the basic concepts of classifications of design of experiments in the field of agriculture and statistical quality control.
Have the notion of sampling distributions and statistical techniques used in engineering and management problems.
- Johnson, R.A., Miller, I and Freund J., “Miller and Freund‘s Probability and Statistics for Engineers”, Pearson Education, Asia, 8th Edition, 2015.
- Milton. J. S. and Arnold. J.C., “Introduction to Probability and Statistics”, Tata McGraw Hill, 4th Edition, 2007.
- Devore. J.L., “Probability and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences‖, Cengage Learning, New Delhi, 8th Edition, 2014.
- Papoulis, A. and Unnikrishnapillai, S., “Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes”, McGraw Hill Education India, 4th Edition, New Delhi, 2010.
- Ross, S.M., “Introduction to Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists”, 3rd Edition, Elsevier, 2004.
- Spiegel. M.R., Schiller. J. and Srinivasan, R.A., “Schaum‘s Outline of Theory and Problems of Probability and Statistics”, Tata McGraw Hill Edition, 2004.
- Walpole. R.E., Myers. R.H., Myers. S.L. and Ye. K., “Probability and Statistics for Engineers and Scientists”, Pearson Education, Asia, 8th Edition, 2007.