Learn definitions of network analysis, architecture, and design and the importance of network analysis
study about different types of requirements from the user, application, device and network component
learn how to identify and characterize traffic flows
learn several concepts about network design process
Learn about SNMP
UNIT I A SYSTEM APPROACH TO NETWORK DESIGN AND REQUIREMENT ANALYSIS 9
Introduction-Network Service and Service based networks- Systems and services- characterizing the services. Requirement Analysis: Concepts – Background – User Requirements- Application Requirements- Host Requirements-Network Requirements – Requirement Analysis: Guidelines – Requirements gathering and listing- Developing service metrics to measure performance – Characterizing behavior- developing performance threshold – Distinguish between service performance levels.
UNIT II FLOW ANALYSIS 9
Individual and Composite Flows – Critical Flows – Identifying and developing flows – Data sources and sinks – Flow models- Flow prioritization – Flow specification algorithms – Example Applications of Flow Analysis\
UNIT III LOGICAL DESIGN 9
Background- Establishing design goals- Developing criteria for technology evolution- Making technology choices for design-case study- Shared Medium- Switching and Routing: Comparison and contrast- Switching- Routing-Hybrid Routing/Switching Mechanisms – Applying Interconnection Mechanism to Design – Integrating Network management and security into the Design- Defining Network Management- Designing with manageable resources- Network Management Architecture- Security- Security mechanism- Examples- Network Management and security plans- Case study.
UNIT IV NETWORK DESIGN: PHYSICAL, ADDRESSING AND ROUTING 9
Design Concepts – Design Process – Network Layout – Design Traceability – Design Metrics –Logical Network Design – Topology Design – Bridging, Switching and Routing Protocols- Physical Network Design – Selecting Technologies and Devices for Campus and Enterprise Networks – Optimizing Network Design
UNIT V NETWORK MANAGEMENT AND SNMP PROTOCOL MODEL 9
Network and System management, Network management system platform; Current SNMP Broadband and TMN management, Network management standards. SNMPV1, SNMPV2 system architecture, SNMPV2, structure of management information. SNMPV2 – MIB – SNMPV2 protocol, SNMPV3-Architecture, Application, MIB, security user based security model, access control RMON
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
On Successful completion of the course ,Students will be able to
Gather, derive, define and validate real requirements for the specified network.
Understand different types of requirements from the user, application, device and network component
Develop traceability between requirements, architecture decisions, and design decisions
Implement how and where addressing and routing, security, network management, and performance are required in the network.
Use SNMPv1, v2 and v3 protocols.
1. James.D.McCabe, ―Practical Computer Network Analysis and Design‖, 1st Edition, Morgan Kaufaman, 1997.
2. Mani Subramanian, ―Network Management – Principles & Practice‖ – 2nd Edition Prentice Hall, 2012.
1. Network Analysis, Architecture, and Design By James D. McCabe, Morgan Kaufmann, Third Edition, 2007.ISBN-13: 978-0123704801
2. Computer Networks: A Systems Approach by Larry L. Peterson, Bruce S. Davie – 2007,Elsevier Inc.
3. Top-down Network Design: [a Systems Analysis Approach to Enterprise Network Design] By Priscilla Oppenheimer, Cisco Press , 3rd Edition, ISBN-13: 978-1-58720- 283-4 ISBN-10: 1-58720-283-2
4. J.Radz,‖Fundamentals of Computer Network Analysis and Engineering: Basic Approaches for Solving Problems in the Networked Computing Environment‖, Universe, 2005.
5. Mark Newman, ―Networks: An Introduction‖,Kindle Edition,2010.
6. Laura Chappel and Gerald Combs ,―Wireshark 101: Essential Skills for Network Analysis‖,Kindle Edition,2013.
7. William Stallings., ―SNMP, SNMP2, SNMP3 and RMON1 and 2‖, Pearson Education, 2004.
8. Daw Sudira, ―Network Management‖, Sonali Publications, 2004.