To educate on the basic concepts of data networks
To introduce the basics of internetworking and serial communications
To provide details on HART and Field buses
To educate on MODBUS, PROFIBUS and other communication protocol
To introduce industrial Ethernet and wireless communication
UNIT I DATA NETWORK FUNDAMENTALS 9
Networks hierarchy and switching – Open System Interconnection model of ISO – Data link control protocol – Media access protocol – Command / response – Token passing -CSMA/CD, TCP/IP
UNIT II INTERNET WORKING 9
Bridges – Routers – Gateways – Standard ETHERNET and ARCNET configuration special requirement for networks used for control – RS 232, RS 485 configuration Actuator Sensor (AS) – interface, Devicenet
UNIT III HART AND FIELD BUS 9
Introduction – Evolution of signal standard – HART communication protocol – HART networks -HART commands – HART applications – Fieldbus – Introduction – General Fieldbus architecture Basic requirements of Fieldbus standard – Fieldbus topology – Interoperability – Interchangeability – Introduction to OLE for process control (OPC).
UNIT IV MODBUS AND PROFIBUS PA/DP/FMS AND FF 9
MODBUS protocol structure – function codes – troubleshooting Profibus, Introduction, Profibus protocol stack, Profibus communication model – communication objects – system operation –
troubleshooting – review of foundation fieldbus – Data Highway
UNIT V INDUSTRIAL ETHERNET AND WIRELESS COMMUNICATION 9
Industrial Ethernet, Introduction, 10 Mbps Ethernet, 100 Mbps Ethernet – Radio and wireless communication, Introduction, components of radio link – radio spectrum and frequency
allocation – radio MODEMs-Introduction to wireless HART and ISA100.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
OUTCOMES: Students will have the
Ability to define basic concepts of data communication and its importance.
Ability to explain the various internetworking devices involved in industrial networks
Ability to explain the various serial communication used in process industries.
Ability to illustrate, compare & explain the working of HART and Field bus used in
process digital communication.
Ability to summarize the operation of MODBUS, PROFIBUS protocol & its applications.
Ability to explain and adopt the different Industrial Ethernet protocol and usage of
wireless communication in process applications.
- Steve Mackay, Edwin Wrijut, Deon Reynders, John Park, Practical Industrial Data Networks Design, Installation and Troubleshooting’ Newnes Publication, Elsevier First Edition, 2004
- William Buchanan, Computer Buses, CRC Press, 2000.
- BehrouzForouzan ,Data Communications & Networking ,3RD edition, Tata McGraw hill,2006.
- Andrew S. Tanenbaum, David J. Wetherall, Computer Networks, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., 5th Edition. 2011.
- Theodore S Rappaport, Wireless Communication: Principles and Practice, Prentice Hall of India 2nd Edition, 2001.
- William Stallings, Wireless Communication & Networks, Prentice Hall of India, 2nd Edition, 2005