To introduce different types of electronic voltmeters and their applications.
To provide knowledge on various types of cathode ray oscilloscopes, their applications and different types of signal analyzers.
To introduce different types of waveform generators and analyzers and their applications.
To educate on virtual instrumentation, its applications, programming and DAQ cards and modules.
To give exposure to telemetry, modulation techniques and multiplexing.
UNIT I ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS 9
Electronic Voltmeter and their advantages – Types, Differential amplifier, source follower, rectifier – Truerms reading voltmeter – Electronic multimeter and ohmmeter – Current measurement – Power measurement – Microprocessor based DMM with auto ranging and self diagnostic features.
UNIT II CATHODE RAY OSCILLOSCOPE & SIGNAL ANALYZERS 9
General purpose cathode ray oscilloscope – Dual trace, dual beam and sampling oscilloscopes– Analog and digital storage oscilloscope – frequency selective and heterodyne wave analyzer – Harmonic distortion analyzer – Spectrum analyzer.
UNIT III WAVEFORM GENERATORS 9
Wien’s bridge and phase shift oscillators – Hartley and crystal oscillators – Square wave and pulse generators – Triangular wave-shape generator – Signal and function generators – Q meter – Electronic Counters.
UNIT IV VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTATION 9
Virtual instrumentation (VI) – Definition, flexibility – Block diagram and architecture of virtual instruments – Virtual instruments versus traditional instruments – Software in virtual instrumentation – VI programming techniques – DAQ cards for VI applications – DAQ modules with serial communication.
UNIT V TELEMETRY 9
General telemetry system – voltage, current and position telemetry systems – Radio frequency telemetry – Frequency modulation, pulse-amplitude modulation and pulse-code modulation telemetry – Frequency and time multiplexing.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
COURSE OUTCOMES (COs)
Ability to understand and analyze Instrumentation systems and their applications to various industries.
- A.D. Helfrick and W.D. Cooper, Modern Electronic Instrumentation and Measurement Techniques, Prentice Hall India Private Ltd., New Delhi, 2010.
- David A Bell, “ Electronic Instrumentation and Measurements”, Ox for University Press, 2013.
- Jerome J., Virtual Instrumentation using Lab VIEW, Prentice Hall India Private Ltd., New Delhi,2010.
- H.S. Kalsi, Electronic Instrumentation, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2010.
- J.J. Carr, Elements of Electronic Instrumentation and Measurement, Pearson Education India, New Delhi, 2011.
- M.M.S. Anand, Electronics Instruments and Instrumentation Technology, Prentice Hall India, New Delhi, 2009.
- Sanjay Gupta, Virtual Instrumentation using Lab view, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2010.