To introduce the measurement techniques of force, torque and speed.
To introduce the measurement techniques of acceleration, Vibration and density
To introduce the measurement Viscosity, Humidity and moisture.
To introduce the temperature measurement techniques
To introduce the pressure measurement techniques
UNIT I MEASUREMENT OF FORCE, TORQUE AND SPEED 8
Different types of load cells: Hydraulic, Pneumatic, Strain gauge, Magneto-elastic and Piezoelectric load cells – Different methods of torque measurement: Strain gauge, Relative angular twist. Speed
measurement: Capacitive tacho, Drag cup type tacho, D.C and A.C tacho generators – Stroboscope.
UNIT II MEASUREMENT OF ACCELERATION, VIBRATION AND DENSITY
Accelerometers: LVDT, Piezoelectric, Strain gauge and Variable reluctance type accelerometers – Mechanical type vibration instruments – Seismic instruments as accelerometer – Vibration sensor – Calibration of vibration pickups – Units of density and specific gravity – Baume scale and API scale –
Densitometers: Pressure type densitometers, Float type densitometers, Ultrasonic densitometer and gas densitometer.
UNIT III MEASUREMENT OF VISCOSITY, HUMIDITY AND MOISTURE 8
Viscosity: Saybolt viscometer – Rotameter type and Torque type viscometers – Consistency Meters – Humidity: Dry and wet bulb psychrometers – Resistive and capacitive type hygrometers – Dew cell – Commercial type dew meter. Moisture: Different methods of moisture measurements –Thermal, Conductivity and Capacitive sensors, Microwave, IR and NMR sensors, Application of moisture measurement – Moisture measurement in solids.
UNIT IV TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENT 12
Definitions and standards – Primary and secondary fixed points – Different types of filled in system thermometers – Sources of errors in filled in systems and their compensation – Bimetallic thermometers – IC sensors – Thermocouples: Laws of thermocouple, Fabrication of industrial
thermocouples, Reference junctions compensation, Signal conditioning for thermocouple, Commercial circuits for cold junction compensation, Response of thermocouple, Special techniques for measuring high temperature using thermocouple – Radiation fundamentals – Radiation methods of temperature measurement – Total radiation pyrometers – Optical pyrometers – Two color radiation pyrometers – Fiber optic sensor for temperature measurement – Thermograph, Temperature
switches and thermostats – Temperature sensor selection, Installation and Calibration.
UNIT V PRESSURE MEASUREMENT 9
Units of pressure – Manometers: Different types, Elastic type pressure gauges: Bourdon tube, Bellows, Diaphragms and Capsules – Electrical methods: Elastic elements with LVDT and strain gauges – Capacitive type pressure gauge – Piezo resistive pressure sensor-Resonator pressure
sensor – Measurement of vacuum: McLeod gauge, Thermal conductivity gauge, lionization gauges, Cold cathode type and hot cathode type – Pressure gauge selection, installation and calibration using
dead weight tester.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the student will have the:
- Ability to understand the construction and working of instruments used for measurement of force, torque, speed, acceleration, vibration, density, viscosity, humidity, moisture, temperature.
- Ability to select instruments according to the application.
- Ability to understand the concept of calibration of instruments and gain knowledge about temperature measurement devices.
- Ability to design signal conditioning circuits and compensation schemes for temperature measuring instruments.
- Ability to understand the working of instruments used for measurement of pressure.
- Ability to measure fiber optic sensor to measure temperature.
- Doebelin, E.O. and Manik, D.N., “Measurement systems Application and Design”, 6th McGraw-Hill Education Pvt. Ltd, 2011.
- Jones, B.E., “Instrument Technology”, Vol.2, Butterworth-Heinemann, International Edition, 2003.
- Liptak, B.G., “Instrumentation Engineers Handbook (Measurement)”, CRC Press, 2005.
- Patranabis, D., “Principles of Industrial Instrumentation”, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill Education, 2017.
- Eckman D.P., “Industrial Instrumentation”, Wiley Eastern Limited, 1990.
- Singh,S.K., “Industrial Instrumentation and Control”, Tata Mc-Graw-Hill Education Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2009.
- Alok Barua, “Lecture Notes on Industrial Instrumentation”, NPTEL, E-Learning Course, IIT Kharagpur.
- Jayashankar, V., “Lecture Notes on Industrial Instrumentation”, NPTEL, E-Learning Course, IIT Madras.
- A.K. Sawhney, “A Course in Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation ”, Dhanpat Rai & Co. (P) Limited, 2015.