To make the students familiarize about various power generation methods.
To identify various parameters in thermal power plant
To impart knowledge about the different types of controls and control loops.
To familiarize the student with the methods of monitoring different parameters like speed, vibration of turbines and their control.
UNIT I POWER GENERATION METHODS 9
Brief survey of methods of power generation: hydro, thermal, nuclear, solar and wind power – importance of instrumentation in power generation – thermal power plants: building blocks, details of boiler processes P&I diagram of boiler – cogeneration.
UNIT II MEASUREMENTS IN POWER PLANTS 9
Electrical measurements: current, voltage, power, frequency, power factor – non electrical parameters: flow of feed water, fuel, air, steam pressure and steam temperature – smoke density measurement – Flue gas oxygen analyzer – pollution monitoring instruments.
UNIT III FURNACE CONTROL 9
Coal handling: Pulverizers – Furnace Draught: natural draught, forced draught, induced draught, power requirements for draught systems – Combustion control: Fuel/Air ratio, combustion efficiency, excess air, parallel and cross limited combustion control- soot-blowing operation.
UNIT IV BOILER CONTROL 9
Boiler metal temperature measurement, pressure measuring devices – Boiler feed water processing and control – drum level measurement methods – steam temperature control: main steam and reheat
steam temperature control, superheater control, deaerator control – distributed control system in power plants – interlocks in boiler operation.
UNIT V TURBINE CONTROL 9
Speed measurement, rotor and casing movement- vibration – shell temperature monitoring and control – steam pressure control – lubricant oil temperature – cooling system.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
- Understanding various power generation process.
- Identify important parameter to be monitored and controlled in thermal power plant.
- Knowledge about various building blocks and instruments involved in thermal power plant and its controlling process.
- Sam G. Dukelow, The control of Boilers, instrument Society of America, 1991.
- Modern Power Station Practice, Vol.6, Instrumentation, Controls and Testing, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1971.
- Krishnaswamy KM, Bala P, Bala MP, “Power Plant Instrumentation,” Prentice Hall, 2013
- Elonka.S.M.and Kohal A.L., Standard Boiler Operations, McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1994.
- Jain R.K., Mechanical and industrial Measurements, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2008