Comprehensive introduction to various power electronic devices, their structure, operating principle and characteristics
Give exposure to Various topologies, working principle and analysis of controlled rectifiers and ac controllers
Detailed knowledge on Classifications, structure, operating principle of dc choppers Introduction to different types of Inverters , their principle of operation and waveform control Overview on dc and ac drives and their control using power electronic circuits.
UNIT I POWER SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES AND CHARACTERISTICS 9
Operating principle and switching Characteristics: Power diodes, Power BJT, Power MOSFET, IGBT, SCR, TRIAC, GTO, MCT, Power integrated circuits (PIC) – Drive and Protection circuits – Series and parallel operation – Commutation – Simulation tools.
UNIT II CONTROLLED RECTIFIERS AND AC CONTROLLERS 9
Single phase – Three phase – Half controlled – Fully controlled rectifiers – Dual converters -Effect of source and load inductance – AC voltage controllers –Introduction to Cycloconverters, Matrix converters.
UNIT III DC TO DC CONVERTERS 9
Step up and Step down Chopper – Chopper classification – quadrant of operation – Switching mode Regulators – Buck, Boost, Buck-Boost, and Cuk Regulators.
UNIT IV INVERTERS 9
Voltage source Inverters – Half bridge – Full bridge – Three Phase Bridge Inverters – Voltage control– PWM Techniques – Current Source Inverters: Capacitor Commutated Inverter- Resonant inverters: Series, Parallel, ZVS, ZCS – Introduction to multilevel Inverters.
UNIT V DRIVES AND CONTROL 9
Static and Dynamic equations of dc and ac machines – Electrical breaking – Rectifier and chopper control of DC drives – Principles of v/f control of AC drives – Open loop and Closed loop schemes for DC and AC drives(Block diagram approach only) – Introduction to vector control of AC drives.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
COURSE OUTCOMES (COs)
- Ability to explain various devices and their structure, operating characteristics in the field of
- Ability to classify, analyze and design, Control rectifier, chopper and inverter.
- Will have ability to apply power electronic circuits for the control of popular applications.
- Exposure to design and analyze PE circuit using simulation software.
- Rashid, M.H., “Power Electronics – Circuits, Devices and Applications”, PHI, 3rd Edition, 2004.
- Mohan, Udeland and Robbins., “Power Electronics”, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1995.
- Singh, M.D., and Khanchandani, K.B., “Power Electronics”, 2nd Edition., Tata McGraw-Hill, 2011.
- Bose, B.K., “Modern Power Electronics and AC Drives”, Pearson Education, 2002. Bimbra, P.S., “Power Electronics”, Khanna Publishers, 2006.
- Moorthi, V.R., “Power Electronics – Devices, Circuits and Industrial Applications”, Oxford University Press, 2005.
- NPTEL Lecture Series on “Power Electronics” by Dr.B.G.Fernandes, IIT Bombay.