To impart knowledge on the following Topics
Building Blocks of Embedded System
Various Embedded Development Strategies
Bus Communication in processors, Input/output interfacing.
Various processor scheduling algorithms.
Basics of Real time operating system and example tutorials to discuss on one real time operating system tool.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO EMBEDDED SYSTEMS 9
Introduction to Embedded Systems –Structural units in Embedded processor , selection of processor & memory devices- DMA – Memory management methods- Timer and Counting devices, Watchdog Timer, Real Time Clock, In circuit emulator, Target Hardware Debugging.
UNIT II EMBEDDED NETWORKING 9
Embedded Networking: Introduction, I/O Device Ports & Buses– Serial Bus communication protocols RS232 standard – RS422 – RS 485 – CAN Bus -Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) – Inter Integrated Circuits (I2C) –need for device drivers.
UNIT III EMBEDDED FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT 9
Embedded Product Development Life Cycle- objectives, different phases of EDLC, Modelling of EDLC; issues in Hardware-software Co-design, Data Flow Graph, state machine model, Sequential Program Model, concurrent Model, object oriented Model.
UNIT IV RTOS BASED EMBEDDED SYSTEM DESIGN 9
Introduction to basic concepts of RTOS- Task, process & threads, interrupt routines in RTOS, Multiprocessing and Multitasking, Preemptive and non-preemptive scheduling, Task communication shared memory, message passing-, Inter process Communication – synchronization between processes-semaphores, Mailbox, pipes, priority inversion, priority
UNIT V EMBEDDED SYSTEM APPLICATION AND DEVELOPMENT 9
Case Study of Washing Machine- Automotive Application- Smart card System Application-ATM machine –Digital camera.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
Ability to understand and analyze Embedded systems.
Ability to suggest an embedded system for a given application.
Ability to operate various Embedded Development Strategies
Ability to study about the bus Communication in processors.
Ability to acquire knowledge on various processor scheduling algorithms.
Ability to understand basics of Real time operating system.
- Peckol, “Embedded system Design”, John Wiley & Sons,2010
- Lyla B Das,” Embedded Systems-An Integrated Approach”, Pearson, 2013
- Shibu. K.V, “Introduction to Embedded Systems”, 2e, Mc graw Hill, 2017.
- Raj Kamal, ‘Embedded System-Architecture, Programming, Design’, Mc Graw Hill, 2013.
- C.R.Sarma, “Embedded Systems Engineering”, University Press (India) Pvt. Ltd, 2013.
- Tammy Noergaard, “Embedded Systems Architecture”, Elsevier, 2006.
- Han-Way Huang, “Embedded system Design Using C8051”, Cengage Learning, 2009.
- Rajib Mall “Real-Time systems Theory and Practice” Pearson Education, 2007.