OBJECTIVES: To impart knowledge about the following topics:
Signals and systems & their mathematical representation.
Discrete time systems.
Transformation techniques & their computation.
Filters and their design for digital implementation.
Programmability digital signal processor & quantization effects.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 6+6
Classification of systems: Continuous, discrete, linear, causal, stability, dynamic, recursive, time variance; classification of signals: continuous and discrete, energy and power; mathematical representation of signals; spectral density; sampling techniques, quantization, quantization error, Nyquist rate, aliasing effect.
UNIT II DISCRETE TIME SYSTEM ANALYSIS 6+6
Z-transform and its properties, inverse z-transforms; difference equation – Solution by ztransform, application to discrete systems – Stability analysis, frequency response – Convolution – Discrete Time Fourier transform , magnitude and phase representation.
UNIT III DISCRETE FOURIER TRANSFORM & COMPUTATION 6+6
Discrete Fourier Transform- properties, magnitude and phase representation – Computation of DFT using FFT algorithm – DIT &DIF using radix 2 FFT – Butterfly structure.
UNIT IV DESIGN OF DIGITAL FILTERS 6+6
FIR & IIR filter realization – Parallel & cascade forms. FIR design: Windowing Techniques – Need and choice of windows – Linear phase characteristics. Analog filter design – Butterworth and Chebyshev approximations; IIR Filters, digital design using impulse invariant and bilinear transformation Warping, pre warping.
UNIT V DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSORS 6+6
Introduction – Architecture – Features – Addressing Formats – Functional modes – Introduction to Commercial DS Processors.
TOTAL : 60 PERIODS
- Ability to understand the importance of Fourier transform, digital filters and DS Processors.
- Ability to acquire knowledge on Signals and systems & their mathematical representation.
- Ability to understand and analyze the discrete time systems.
- Ability to analyze the transformation techniques & their computation.
- Ability to understand the types of filters and their design for digital implementation.
- Ability to acquire knowledge on programmability digital signal processor & quantization effects.
- J.G. Proakis and D.G. Manolakis, ‘Digital Signal Processing Principles, Algorithms and Applications’, Pearson Education, New Delhi, PHI. 2003.
- S.K. Mitra, ‘Digital Signal Processing – A Computer Based Approach’, McGraw Hill Edu, 2013.
- Lonnie C.Ludeman ,”Fundamentals of Digital Signal Processing”,Wiley,2013
- Poorna Chandra S, Sasikala. B ,Digital Signal Processing, Vijay Nicole/TMH,2013.
- Robert Schilling & Sandra L.Harris, Introduction to Digital Signal Processing using Matlab”, Cengage Learning,2014.
- B.P.Lathi, ‘Principles of Signal Processing and Linear Systems’, Oxford University Press, 2010 3. Taan S. ElAli, ‘Discrete Systems and Digital Signal Processing with Mat Lab’, CRC Press, 2009.
- SenM.kuo, woonseng…s.gan, “Digital Signal Processors, Architecture,
Implementations & Applications, Pearson,2013
- DimitrisG.Manolakis, Vinay K. Ingle, applied Digital Signal