To introduce electric circuits and its analysis
To impart knowledge on solving circuit equations using network theorems
To introduce the phenomenon of resonance in coupled circuits.
To educate on obtaining the transient response of circuits.
To introduce Phasor diagrams and analysis of three phase circuits
UNIT I BASIC CIRCUITS ANALYSIS 6+6
Resistive elements – Ohm’s Law Resistors in series and parallel circuits – Kirchoffs laws – Mesh current and node voltage – methods of analysis.
UNIT II NETWORK REDUCTION AND THEOREMS FOR DC AND AC IRCUITS 6+6
Network reduction: voltage and current division, source transformation – star delta conversion. Thevenins and Norton Theorems – Superposition Theorem – Maximum power transfer theorem – Reciprocity Theorem – Millman’s theorem.
UNIT III TRANSIENT RESPONSE ANALYSIS 6+6
L and C elements -Transient response of RL, RC and RLC Circuits using Laplace transform for DC input and A.C. sinusoidal input.
UNIT IV THREE PHASE CIRCUITS 6+6
A.C. circuits – Average and RMS value – Phasor Diagram – Power, Power Factor and Energy.- Analysis of three phase 3-wire and 4-wire circuits with star and delta connected loads, balanced & un balanced – phasor diagram of voltages and currents – power measurement in three phase circuits.
UNIT V RESONANCE AND COUPLED CIRCUITS 6+6
Series and parallel resonance – their frequency response – Quality factor and Bandwidth – Self and mutual inductance – Coefficient of coupling – Tuned circuits – Single tuned circuits.
TOTAL : 60 PERIODS
Ability to analyse electrical circuits
Ability to apply circuit theorems
Ability to analyse transients
- William H. Hayt Jr, Jack E. Kemmerly and Steven M. Durbin, “Engineering Circuits
Analysis”, McGraw Hill publishers, edition, New Delhi, 2013.
- Charles K. Alexander, Mathew N.O. Sadiku, “Fundamentals of Electric Circuits”, Second Edition, McGraw Hill, 2013.
3. 1. Allan H. Robbins, Wilhelm C. Miller, “Circuit Analysis Theory and Practice”, Cengage Learning India, 2013.
- Chakrabarti A, “Circuits Theory (Analysis and synthesis), Dhanpath Rai & Sons, New Delhi, 1999.
- Jegatheesan, R., “Analysis of Electric Circuits,” McGraw Hill, 2015.
- Joseph A. Edminister, Mahmood Nahri, “Electric circuits”, Schaum’s series, McGraw- Hill, New Delhi, 2010.
- M E Van Valkenburg, “Network Analysis”,Prentice-Hall of India Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, 2015.
- Mahadevan, K., Chitra, C., “Electric Circuits Analysis,” Prentice-Hall of India Pvt Ltd., New Delhi, 2015.
- Richard C. Dorf and James A. Svoboda, “Introduction to Electric Circuits”, 7th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2015.
- Sudhakar A and Shyam Mohan SP, “Circuits and Network Analysis and Synthesis”, McGraw Hill, 2015.