To provide wide knowledge of semiconductors and solid mechanics to fabricate MEMS devices
To educate on the rudiments of Micro fabrication techniques
To educate on applications of MEMS
To provide wide information dealing with nano material and its necessity
To analyze methods involving preparation of nano scale devices
UNIT I OVERVIEW OF MEMS AND MICROSYSTEMS 9
Introduction to MEMS and Microsystems, Need for Miniaturization, MEMS and Microsystem products: Micro gears – Micro turbines – Micromotors – Micro optical devices. Microsystems and Microelectronics, Application of Microsystems in Automotive Industries: Safety – Engine and
power trains – Comfort and convenience, Microactuation: Actuation using thermal forces – actuation using shape memory alloys – Actuation using piezoelectric effect – Actuation using Electrostatic forces.
UNIT II MICROSYSTEM FABRICATION PROCESS 9
Photolithography, Ion Implantation, Diffusion, Oxidation: Thermal oxidation-Oxidation by color, Chemical Vapour Depostion, Physical Vapour Deposition: Sputtering, Etching: Chemical- Plasma, Micromaching: Bulk Micromachining – Surface Micromachining.
UNIT III POLYMERS AND OPTICAL MEMS 9
Polymers in MEMS : Polimide – SU-8 – Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) – PDMS – PMMA – Parylene – Fluorocarbon, Optical MEMS : Lenses and Mirrors – Actuators for Active Optical MEMS, Assembly of 3D MEMS – Foundry process.
UNIT IV INTRODUCTION TO NANOSCALE ENGINEERING 9
General Principle of Nano Fabrication, Nano products, Applications of Nano products, Quantum physics, Fluid flow in submicrometers and nanoscales : Rarefied Gas – Knudsen and match numbers – Modleing of micro and nanoscale gas flow, Heat Conduction at Nanoscale,
Challenges in Nanoscale Engineering, New materials for NEMS.
UNIT V PATTERNING AND PREPARATION METHODS 9
Bottom up Synthesis – Top down Approach : Precipitation, Mechanical Milling, Colloidal routes, Self assembly, Vapour phase deposition, Evaporation, Molecular Beam Epitaxy, Atomic Layer Epitaxy, MOMBE, Patterning : Introduction to optical/UV electron beam and X-ray Lithography systems and processes. Clean rooms: specifications and design, air and water purity, requirements for particular processes.
TOTAL :45 PERIODS
COURSE OUTCOMES (COs)
- Ability to understand the operation of micro devices, micro systems and their applications.
- Ability to design the micro devices, micro systems using the MEMS fabrication process.
- Ability to understand the operation of nao devices, nano systems and their applications.
- Ability to design nano devices, nano systems using the preparation methods.
- Tai Ran Hsu “MEMS and Microsystems Design : Manufacture and Nano Scale Engineering”, John Wiely & Sons, INC., 2nd Edition, 2008.
- A.S. Edelstein and R.C. Cammearata, eds., Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties and Applications, (Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol and Philadelphia, 1996).
- Chang Liu, ‘Foundations of MEMS’, Pearson Education Inc., 2012.
- Mohamed Gad-el-Hak, editor, “ The MEMS Handbook”, CRC press Baco Raton, 2001.
- Nadim Maluf,“ An Introduction to Micro Electro Mechanical System Design”, Artech House, 2000..
- G Timp (Editor), Nanotechnology, AIP press/Springer, 1999.
- N John Dinardo, Nanoscale charecterisation of surfaces & Interfaces, Second edition, Weinheim Cambridge, Wiley-VCH, 2000.