The student should be made to:
Understand the concepts of embedded system design and analysis
Learn the architecture and programming of ARM processor
Be exposed to the basic concepts of embedded programming
Learn the real time operating systems
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO EMBEDDEDSYSTEM DESIGN 9
Complex systems and micro processors– Embedded system design process –Design example: Model train controller- Design methodologies- Design flows – Requirement Analysis – Specifications-System analysis and architecture design – Quality Assurance techniques – Designing with computing platforms – consumer electronics architecture – platform-level performance analysis.
UNIT II ARM PROCESSOR AND PERIPHERALS 9
ARM Architecture Versions – ARM Architecture – Instruction Set – Stacks and Subroutines – Features of the LPC 214X Family – Peripherals – The Timer Unit – Pulse Width Modulation Unit – UART – Block Diagram of ARM9 and ARM Cortex M3 MCU.
UNIT III EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING 9
Components for embedded programs- Models of programs- Assembly, linking and loading – compilation techniques- Program level performance analysis – Software performance optimization – Program level energy and power analysis and optimization – Analysis and optimization of program size- Program validation and testing.
UNIT IV REAL TIME SYSTEMS 9
Structure of a Real Time System –– Estimating program run times – Task Assignment and Scheduling – Fault Tolerance Techniques – Reliability, Evaluation – Clock Synchronisation.
UNIT V PROCESSES AND OPERATING SYSTEMS 9
Introduction – Multiple tasks and multiple processes – Multirate systems- Preemptive real-time operating systems- Priority based scheduling- Interprocess communication mechanisms – Evaluating operating system performance- power optimization strategies for processes – Example Real time operating systems-POSIX-Windows CE. – Distributed embedded systems – MPSoCs and shared memory multiprocessors. – Design Example – Audio player, Engine control unit – Video accelerator.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
Describe the architecture and programming of ARM processor
Outline the concepts of embedded systems
Explain the basic concepts of real time operating system design
Model real-time applications using embedded-system concepts
- Marilyn Wolf, ―Computers as Components – Principles of Embedded Computing System Design‖, Third Edition ―Morgan Kaufmann Publisher (An imprint from Elsevier), 2012. (UNIT I, II, III, V)
- Jane W.S.Liu,‖ Real Time Systems‖, Pearson Education, Third Indian Reprint, 2003.(UNIT IV)
- Lyla B.Das, ―Embedded Systems : An Integrated Approach‖ Pearson Education, 2013.
- Jonathan W.Valvano, ―Embedded Microcomputer Systems Real Time Interfacing‖, Third Edition Cengage Learning, 2012.
- David. E. Simon, ―An Embedded Software Primer‖, 1st Edition, Fifth Impression, Addison-Wesley Professional, 2007.
- Raymond J.A. Buhr, Donald L.Bailey, ―An Introduction to Real-Time Systems- From Design to Networking with C/C++‖, Prentice Hall, 1999.
- C.M. Krishna, Kang G. Shin, ―Real-Time Systems‖, International Editions, Mc Graw Hill 1997
- K.V.K.K.Prasad, ―Embedded Real-Time Systems: Concepts, Design & Programming‖, Dream Tech Press, 2005.
- Sriram V Iyer, Pankaj Gupta, ―Embedded Real Time Systems Programming‖, Tata Mc Graw Hill, 2004.