- To make students understand the basic structure and operation of digital computer
- To familiarize with implementation of fixed point and floating-point arithmetic operations
- To study the design of data path unit and control unit for processor
- To understand the concept of various memories and interfacing
- To introduce the parallel processing technique
UNIT I COMPUTER ORGANIZATION & INSTRUCTIONS 9
Basics of a computer system: Evolution, Ideas, Technology, Performance, Power wall,Uniprocessors to Multiprocessors. Addressing and addressing modes. Instructions: Operations and Operands, Representing instructions, Logical operations, control operations.
UNIT II ARITHMETIC 9
Fixed point Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division. Floating Point arithmetic, High performance arithmetic, Subword parallelism
UNIT III THE PROCESSOR 9
Introduction, Logic Design Conventions, Building a Datapath – A Simple Implementation scheme -An Overview of Pipelining – Pipelined Datapath and Control. Data Hazards: Forwarding versus Stalling, Control Hazards, Exceptions, Parallelism via Instructions.
UNIT IV MEMORY AND I/O ORGANIZATION 9
Memory hierarchy, Memory Chip Organization, Cache memory, Virtual memory.Parallel Bus Architectures, Internal Communication Methodologies, Serial Bus Architectures, Mass storage, Input and Output Devices.
UNIT V ADVANCED COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE 9
Parallel processing architectures and challenges, Hardware multithreading, Multicore and shared memory multiprocessors, Introduction to Graphics Processing Units, Clusters and Warehouse scale computers – Introduction to Multiprocessor network topologies.
At the end of the course, the student should be able to
- Describe data representation, instruction formats and the operation of a digital computer
- Illustrate the fixed point and floating-point arithmetic for ALU operation
- Discuss about implementation schemes of control unit and pipeline performance
- Explain the concept of various memories, interfacing and organization of multiple processors
- Discuss parallel processing technique and unconventional architectures
1. David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessey, ―Computer Organization and Design‖, Fifth edition, Morgan Kauffman / Elsevier, 2014. (UNIT I-V)
2. Miles J. Murdocca and Vincent P. Heuring, ―Computer Architecture and Organization: An Integrated approach‖, Second edition, Wiley India Pvt Ltd, 2015 (UNIT IV,V)
- 1. V. Carl Hamacher, Zvonko G. Varanesic and Safat G. Zaky, ―Computer Organization―, Fifth edition, Mc Graw-Hill Education India Pvt Ltd, 2014.
- 2. William Stallings ―Computer Organization and Architecture‖, Seventh Edition, Pearson Education, 2006.
- 3. Govindarajalu, ―Computer Architecture and Organization, Design Principles and Applications”,Second edition, McGraw-Hill Education India Pvt Ltd, 2014.
- EC8092 Advanced Wireless Communication Syllabus
- IT8006 Principles of Speech Processing Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8094 Satellite Communication Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8011 DSP Architecture and Programming Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8010 Video Analytics Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8093 Digital Image Processing Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8009 Compressive Sensing Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8008 Photonic Networks Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8007 Low power SoC Design Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8072 Electro Magnetic Interference and Compatibility Syllabus
- GE8071 Disaster Management Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8006 Mixed Signal IC Design Syllabus 2017 Regulation
- EC8005 Electronics Packaging and Testing Syllabus
- GE8072 Foundation Skills in Integrated Product Development Syllabus
- EC8071 Cognitive Radio Syllabus 2017 Regulation