The student should be made to:
Understand the structure of basic electronic devices.
Be exposed to active and passive circuit elements.
Familiarize the operation and applications of transistor like BJT and FET.
Explore the characteristics of amplifier gain and frequency response.
Learn the required functionality of positive and negative feedback systems.
UNIT I PN JUNCTION DEVICES 9
PN junction diode –structure, operation and V-I characteristics, diffusion and transition capacitance – Rectifiers – Half Wave and Full Wave Rectifier,– Display devices- LED, Laser diodes, Zener diodecharacteristics- Zener Reverse characteristics – Zener as regulator
UNIT II TRANSISTORS AND THYRISTORS 9
BJT, JFET, MOSFET- structure, operation, characteristics and Biasing UJT, Thyristors and IGBT – Structure and characteristics.
UNIT III AMPLIFIERS 9
BJT small signal model – Analysis of CE, CB, CC amplifiers- Gain and frequency response – MOSFET small signal model– Analysis of CS and Source follower – Gain and frequency response- High frequency analysis.
UNIT IV MULTISTAGE AMPLIFIERS AND DIFFERENTIAL AMPLIFIER 9
BIMOS cascade amplifier, Differential amplifier – Common mode and Difference mode analysis – FET input stages – Single tuned amplifiers – Gain and frequency response – Neutralization methods, power amplifiers –Types (Qualitative analysis).
UNIT V FEEDBACK AMPLIFIERS AND OSCILLATORS 9
Advantages of negative feedback – voltage / current, series , Shunt feedback –positive feedback – Condition for oscillations, phase shift – Wien bridge, Hartley, Colpitts and Crystal oscillators.
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
Upon Completion of the course, the students will be able to:
Explain the structure and working operation of basic electronic devices.
Able to identify and differentiate both active and passive elements
Analyze the characteristics of different electronic devices such as diodes and transistors
Choose and adapt the required components to construct an amplifier circuit.
Employ the acquired knowledge in design and analysis of oscillators
- . David A. Bell ,”Electronic devices and circuits”, Oxford University higher education, 5th edition 2008.
- Sedra and smith, “Microelectronic circuits”,7th Ed., Oxford University Press
- Balbir Kumar, Shail.B.Jain, “Electronic devices and circuits” PHI learning private limited, 2nd edition 2014.
- Thomas L.Floyd, “Electronic devices” Conventional current version, Pearson prentice hall, 10th Edition, 2017.
- Donald A Neamen, “Electronic Circuit Analysis and Design” Tata McGraw Hill, 3rd Edition, 2003.
- Robert L.Boylestad, “Electronic devices and circuit theory”, 2002.
- Robert B. Northrop, “Analysis and Application of Analog Electronic Circuits to Biomedical Instrumentation”, CRC Press, 2004.