To provide a broad view of the nascent field of nanoscience and nanotechnology to undergraduates
To explore the basics of nanomaterial synthesis and characterization.
To introduce the applications of nanotechnology
UINI I INTRODUCTION TO NANOTECHNOLOGY 9
Basic Structure of Nanoparticles- Kinetics in Nanostructured Materials- Zero dimensional, size and shape of nanoparticles; one-dimensional and two dimensional nanostructures- clusters of metals and semiconductors, bio nano-particles.
UNIT II FABRICATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF NANOMATERIALS 9
Types of Nanomaterials (Quantum dots, Nanoparticles, Nanocrystals, Dendrimers, Buckyballs, Nanotubes); Gas, liquid, and solid –phase synthesis of nanomaterials; Lithography techniques (Photolithography, Dip-pen and Electron beam lithography); Thin film deposition; Electrospinning. Bio-synthesis of nanomaterials.
UNIT III PROPERTIES AND MEASUREMENT OF NANOMATERIALS 9
Optical Properties: Absorption, Fluorescence, and Resonance; Methods for the measurement of nanomaterials; Microscopy measurements: SEM, TEM, AFM and STM. Confocal and TIRF imaging.
UNIT IV NANO STRUCTURES 9
Carbon Nanotubes, Fullerenes, Nanowires, Quantum Dots. Applications of nanostructures. Reinforcement in Ceramics, Drug delivery, Giant magnetoresistance, etc. Cells response to
UNIT V APPLICATIONS OF NANOTECHNOLOGY 9
Nano electronics, Nano sensors, Nanotechnology in Diagnostics applications, Environmental and Agricultural Applications of nanotechnology, Nano technology for energy systems
TOTAL : 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
Describe the basic science behind the properties of materials.
Interpret the creation, characterization, and manipulation of nanoscale materials.
Comprehend the exciting applications of nanotechnology at the leading edge of scientific research
Apply their knowledge of nanotechnology to identify how they can be exploited for new applications.
- Springer Handbook of Nanotechnology by Bharat Bhushan 2004.(Unit I – V)
- Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology – Hari Singh Nalwa 2004. (Unit I – V)
- Nanomaterials, Nanotechnologies and Design: an Introduction to Engineers and Architects, D. Michael Ashby, Paulo Ferreira, Daniel L. Schodek, Butterworth-Heinemann,
- Handbook of Nanophase and Nanostructured Materials (in four volumes), Eds: Z.L. Wang,
Y. Liu, Z. Zhang, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2003.
- Handbook of Nanoceramics and their Based Nanodevices (Vol. 2) Edited by Tseung-Yuen Tseng and Hari Singh Nalwa, American Scientific Publishers.