To introduce the basic concepts of Electromagnetic Interference
To teach the importance of Electromagnetic Compatible designs
To explain the existing standards for Electromagnetic Compatibility
UNIT I EMI/EMC CONCEPTS 9
EMI-EMC definitions; Sources and Victims of EMI; Conducted and Radiated EMI Emission and Susceptibility; Case Histories; Radiation Hazards to humans.
UNIT II EMI COUPLING PRINCIPLES 9
Conducted, radiated and transient coupling; Common ground impedance coupling; Common mode and ground loop coupling; Differential mode coupling; Near field cable to cable coupling; Field to cable coupling; Power mains and Power supply coupling; Transient EMI, ESD.
UNIT III EMI CONTROL 9
Shielding; EMI Filters; Grounding; Bonding; Isolation transformer; Transient suppressors; EMI Suppression Cables.
UNIT IV EMC DESIGN FOR CIRCUITS AND PCBS 9
Noise from Relays and Switches; Nonlinearities in Circuits; Cross talk in transmission line and cross talk control; Component selection and mounting; PCB trace impedance; Routing; Power distribution decoupling; Zoning; Grounding; VIAs; Terminations.
UNIT V EMI MEASUREMENTS AND STANDARDS 9
Open area test site; TEM cell; EMI test shielded chamber and shielded ferrite lined anechoic chamber; Line impedance stabilization networks; EMI Rx and spectrum analyzer; Civilian standards – CISPR, FCC, IEC, EN; Military standards-MIL461E/462.
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
Identify the various types and mechanisms of Electromagnetic Interference
Propose a suitable EMI mitigation technique
Describe the various EMC Standards and methods to measure them
- V.P.Kodali, ―Engineering EMC Principles, Measurements and Technologies‖, IEEE Press, Newyork, 1996.(Unit I – V)
- Henry W.Ott., Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems‖, A Wiley Inter Science Publications, John Wiley and Sons, Newyork, 1988. (Unit – IV)
- C.R.Paul,‖Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility‖ , John Wiley and Sons, Inc, 1992.
- Bemhard Keiser, ―Principles of Electromagnetic Compatibility‖, 3rd Ed, Artech house, Norwood, 1986.
- Don R. J.White Consultant Incorporate, ―Handbook of EMI/EMC‖, Vol I-V, 1988