The student should be made:
To understand the concept about Wireless networks, protocol stack and standards
To understand and analyse the network layer solutions for Wireless networks
To study about fundamentals of 3G Services, its protocols and applications
To have in depth knowledge on internetworking of WLAN and WWAN
To learn about evolution of 4G Networks, its architecture and applications
UNIT I WIRELESS LAN 9
Introduction-WLAN technologies: – IEEE802.11: System architecture, protocol architecture, 802.11b, 802.11a – Hiper LAN: WATM, BRAN, HiperLAN2 – Bluetooth: Architecture, WPAN – IEEE 802.15.4, Wireless USB, Zigbee, 6LoWPAN, WirelessHART
UNIT II MOBILE NETWORK LAYER 9
Introduction – Mobile IP: IP packet delivery, Agent discovery, tunneling and encapsulation, IPV6-Network layer in the internet- Mobile IP session initiation protocol – mobile ad-hoc network: Routing: Destination Sequence distance vector, IoT: CoAP
UNIT III 3G OVERVIEW 9
Overview of UTMS Terrestrial Radio access network-UMTS Core network Architecture: 3GPP Architecture, User equipment, CDMA2000 overview- Radio and Network components, Network structure, Radio Network, TD-CDMA, TD – SCDMA.
UNIT IV INTERNETWORKING BETWEEN WLANS AND WWANS 9
Internetworking objectives and requirements, Schemes to connect WLANS and 3G Networks, Session Mobility, Internetworking Architecture for WLAN and GPRS, System Description, Local Multipoint Distribution Service, Multichannel Multipoint Distribution System.
UNIT V 4G & Beyond 9
Introduction – 4G vision – 4G features and challenges – Applications of 4G – 4G Technologies: Multicarrier Modulation, Smart antenna techniques, IMS Architecture, LTE, Advanced Broadband Wireless Access and Services, MVNO.
Upon completion of the course, the student would be able to:
Conversant with the latest 3G/4G networks and its architecture
Design and implement wireless network environment for any application using latest wireless protocols and standards
Ability to select the suitable network depending on the availability and requirement
Implement different type of applications for smart phones and mobile devices with latest network strategies
- Jochen Schiller, ‖Mobile Communications‖, Second Edition, Pearson Education 2012.(Unit I,II,III)
- Vijay Garg, ―Wireless Communications and networking‖, First Edition, Elsevier 2007.(Unit IV,V)
- Erik Dahlman, Stefan Parkvall, Johan Skold and Per Beming, “3G Evolution HSPA and LTE for Mobile Broadband‖, Second Edition, Academic Press, 2008.
- Anurag Kumar, D.Manjunath, Joy kuri, ―Wireless Networking‖, First Edition, Elsevier 2011.
- Simon Haykin , Michael Moher, David Koilpillai, ―Modern Wireless Communications‖, First Edition, Pearson Education 2013