To understand the fundamentals of electronic circuit constructions.
To learn the fundamental laws, theorems of electrical circuits and also to analyze them
To study the basic principles of electrical machines and their performance
To study the different energy sources, protective devices and their field applications
To understand the principles and operation of measuring instruments and transducers
UNIT I ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS ANALYSIS 9
Ohms Law, Kirchhoff‘s Law-Instantaneous power- series and parallel circuit analysis with resistive, capacitive and inductive network – nodal analysis, mesh analysis- network theorems – Thevenins theorem, Norton theorem, maximum power transfer theorem and superposition theorem, three phase supply-Instantaneous, Reactive and apparent power-star delta conversion.
UNIT II ELECTRICAL MACHINES 9
DC and AC ROTATING MACHINES:Types, Construction, principle, Emf and torque equation, application Speed Control- Basics of Stepper Motor – Brushless DC motors- Transformers-Introduction- types and construction, working principle of Ideal transformer-Emf equation- All day efficiency calculation.
UNIT III UTILIZATION OF ELECTRICAL POWER 9
Renewable energy sources-wind and solar panels. Illumination by lamps- Sodium Vapour, Mercury vapour, Fluorescent tube. Domestic refrigerator and air conditioner-Electric circuit, construction and working principle. Batteries-NiCd, Pb Acid and Li ion–Charge and Discharge Characteristics. Protection-need for earthing, fuses and circuit breakers.Energy Tariff calculation for domestic loads.
UNIT IV ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS 9
PN Junction-VI Characteristics of Diode, zener diode, Transistors configurations – amplifiers. Op amps- Amplifiers, oscillator,rectifiers, differentiator, integrator, ADC, DAC. Multi vibrator using 555 Timer IC . Voltage regulator IC using LM 723,LM 317.
UNIT V ELECTRICAL MEASUREMENT 9
Characteristic of measurement-errors in measurement, torque in indicating instruments- moving coil and moving iron meters, Energy meter and watt meter. Transducers- classification-thermo electric, RTD, Strain gauge, LVDT, LDR and piezoelectric. Oscilloscope-CRO.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to:
Discuss the essentials of electric circuits and analysis.
Discuss the basic operation of electric machines and transformers
Introduction of renewable sources and common domestic loads.
Introduction to measurement and metering for electric circuits.
1. D.P. Kotharti and I.J Nagarath, Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mc Graw Hill, 2016,Third Edition.
2. M.S. Sukhija and T.K. Nagsarkar, Basic Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Oxford, 2016.
1. S.B. Lal Seksena and Kaustuv Dasgupta, Fundaments of Electrical Engineering, Cambridge, 2016
2. B.L Theraja, Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering and Electronics. Chand & Co, 2008.
3. S.K.Sahdev, Basic of Electrical Engineering, Pearson, 2015
4. John Bird, ―Electrical and Electronic Principles and Technology‖, Fourth Edition, Elsevier, 2010.
5. Mittle,Mittal, Basic Electrical Engineering‖, 2nd Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Edition, 2016.
6. C.L.Wadhwa, ―Generation, Distribution and Utilisation of Electrical Energy‖, New Age international pvt.ltd.,2003.