To learn about basis of nanomaterial science, preparation method, types and application
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 8
Nanoscale Science and Technology- Implications for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Engineering-Classifications of nanostructured materials- nano particles- quantum dots, nanowiresultra-thinfilms-multilayered materials. Length Scales involved and effect on properties:Mechanical, Electronic, Optical, Magnetic and Thermal properties. Introduction to properties and motivation for study (qualitative only).
UNIT II GENERAL METHODS OF PREPARATION 9
Bottom-up Synthesis-Top-down Approach: Co-Precipitation, Ultrasonication, Mechanical Milling,Colloidal routes, Self-assembly, Vapour phase deposition, MOCVD, Sputtering, Evaporation,Molecular Beam Epitaxy, Atomic Layer Epitaxy, MOMBE.
UNIT III NANOMATERIALS 12
Nanoforms of Carbon – Buckminster fullerene- graphene and carbon nanotube, Single wall carbon Nanotubes (SWCNT) and Multi wall carbon nanotubes (MWCNT)- methods of synthesis(arcgrowth, laser ablation, CVD routes, Plasma CVD), structure-property Relationships plicationsNanometal oxides-ZnO, TiO2,MgO, ZrO2, NiO, nanoalumina, CaO, AgTiO2, Ferrites, Nanoclaysfunctionalization and applications-Quantum wires, Quantum dots-preparation, properties and applications.
UNIT IV CHARACTERIZATION TECHNIQUES 9
X-ray diffraction technique, Scanning Electron Microscopy – environmental techniques,Transmission Electron Microscopy including high-resolution imaging, Surface Analysis techniquesAFM, SPM, STM, SNOM, ESCA, SIMS-Nanoindentation.
UNIT V APPLICATIONS 7
NanoInfoTech: Information storage- nanocomputer, molecular switch, super chip, nanocrystal,Nanobiotechlogy: nanoprobes in medical diagnostics and biotechnology, Nano medicines,Targetted drug delivery, Bioimaging – Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS), Nano Electro Mechanical Systems (NEMS)- Nanosensors, nano crystalline silver for bacterial inhibition,Nanoparticles for sunbarrier products – In Photostat, printing, solar cell, battery.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
- •Will familiarize about the science of nanomaterials
- •Will demonstrate the preparation of nanomaterials
- •Will develop knowledge in characteristic nanomaterial
TEXT BOOKS :
1. A.S. Edelstein and R.C. Cammearata, eds., ―Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Properties and Applications‖, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol and Philadelphia, 1996.
2. N John Dinardo, ―Nanoscale Charecterisation of surfaces & Interfaces‖, 2nd edition,Weinheim Cambridge, Wiley-VCH, 2000.
1. G Timp, ―Nanotechnology‖, AIP press/Springer, 1999.
2. Akhlesh Lakhtakia,―The Hand Book of Nano Technology, Nanometer Structure,Theory, Modeling and Simulations‖. Prentice-Hall of India (P) Ltd, New Delhi, 2007.