- To understand the global trends and development methodologies of various types of products and services
- To conceptualize, prototype and develop product management plan for a new product based on the type of the new product and development methodology integrating the hardware, software, controls, electronics and mechanical systems
- To understand requirement engineering and know how to collect, analyze and arrive at requirements for new product development and convert them in to design specification
- To understand system modeling for system, sub-system and their interfaces and arrive at the optimum system specification and characteristics
- To develop documentation, test specifications and coordinate with various teams to validate and sustain up to the EoL (End of Life) support activities for engineering customer
UNIT I FUNDAMENTALS OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT 9
Global Trends Analysis and Product decision – Social Trends – Technical TrendsEconomical Trends – Environmental Trends – Political/Policy Trends – Introduction to Product Development Methodologies and Management – Overview of Products and Services – Types of Product Development – Overview of Product Development methodologies – Product Life Cycle – Product Development Planning and Management.
UNIT II REQUIREMENTS AND SYSTEM DESIGN 9
Requirement Engineering – Types of Requirements – Requirement Engineering – traceability Matrix and Analysis – Requirement Management – System Design & Modeling -Introduction to System Modeling – System Optimization – System Specification – Sub-System Design – Interface Design.
UNIT III DESIGN AND TESTING 9
Conceptualization – Industrial Design and User Interface Design – Introduction to Concept generation Techniques – Challenges in Integration of Engineering Disciplines – Concept Screening & Evaluation – Detailed Design – Component Design and Verification – Mechanical, Electronics and Software Subsystems – High Level Design/Low Level Design of S/W Program – Types of Prototypes, S/W Testing- Hardware Schematic, Component design, Layout and Hardware Testing – Prototyping – Introduction to Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Manufacturing – System Integration, Testing, Certification and Documentation
UNIT IV SUSTENANCE ENGINEERING AND END-OF-LIFE (EOL) SUPPORT 9
Introduction to Product verification processes and stages – Introduction to Product Validation processes and stages – Product Testing Standards and Certification – Product Documentation – Sustenance -Maintenance and Repair – Enhancements – Product EoL – Obsolescence Management – Configuration Management – EoL Disposal
UNIT V BUSINESS DYNAMICS – ENGINEERING SERVICES INDUSTRY 9
The Industry – Engineering Services Industry – Product Development in Industry versus Academia –The IPD Essentials – Introduction to Vertical Specific Product Development processes -anufacturing/Purchase and Assembly of Systems – Integration of Mechanical,Embedded and Software Systems – Product Development Trade-offs – Intellectual Property Rights and Confidentiality – Security and Configuration Management.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to:
- Define, formulate and analyze a problem
- Solve specific problems independently or as part of a team
- Gain knowledge of the Innovation & Product Development process in the Business Context
- Work independently as well as in teams
- Manage a project from start to finish
- Book specially prepared by NASSCOM as per the MoU.
- Karl T Ulrich and Stephen D Eppinger, “Product Design and Development”, Tata McGraw Hill, Fifth Edition, 2011.
- John W Newstorm and Keith Davis, “Organizational Behavior”, Tata McGraw Hill,Eleventh Edition, 2005.
- Hiriyappa B, ―Corporate Strategy – Managing the Business‖, Author House, 2013.
- Peter F Drucker, ―People and Performance‖, Butterworth – Heinemann [Elsevier], Oxford,2004.
- Vinod Kumar Garg and Venkita Krishnan N K, ―Enterprise Resource Planning –Concepts‖, Second Edition, Prentice Hall, 2003.
- Mark S Sanders and Ernest J McCormick, “Human Factors in Engineering and Design”,McGraw Hill Education, Seventh Edition, 2013