- To understand the Software Project Planning and Evaluation techniques.
- To plan and manage projects at each stage of the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- To learn about the activity planning and risk management principles.
- To manage software projects and control software deliverables.
- To develop skills to manage the various phases involved in project management and people management.
- To deliver successful software projects that support organization‘s strategic goals.
UNIT I PROJECT EVALUATION AND PROJECT PLANNING 9
Importance of Software Project Management – Activities – Methodologies – Categorization of Software Projects – Setting objectives – Management Principles – Management Control – Project portfolio Management – Cost-benefit evaluation technology – Risk evaluation – Strategic program Management – Stepwise Project Planning.
UNIT II PROJECT LIFE CYCLE AND EFFORT ESTIMATION 9
Software process and Process Models – Choice of Process models – Rapid Application development – Agile methods – Dynamic System Development Method – Extreme Programming– Managing interactive processes – Basics of Software estimation – Effort and Cost estimation techniques –COSMIC Full function points – COCOMO II – a Parametric Productivity Model.
UNIT III ACTIVITY PLANNING AND RISK MANAGEMENT 9
Objectives of Activity planning – Project schedules – Activities – Sequencing and scheduling –Network Planning models – Formulating Network Model – Forward Pass & Backward Pass techniques – Critical path (CRM) method – Risk identification – Assessment – Risk Planning –Risk Management – – PERT technique – Monte Carlo simulation – Resource Allocation – Creation of critical paths – Cost schedules.
UNIT IV PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL 9
Framework for Management and control – Collection of data – Visualizing progress – Cost monitoring – Earned Value Analysis – Prioritizing Monitoring – Project tracking – Change control – Software Configuration Management – Managing contracts – Contract Management.
UNIT V STAFFING IN SOFTWARE PROJECTS 9
Managing people – Organizational behavior – Best methods of staff selection – Motivation – The Oldham – Hackman job characteristic model – Stress – Health and Safety – Ethical and Professional concerns – Working in teams – Decision making – Organizational structures – Dispersed and Virtual teams – Communications genres – Communication plans – Leadership.
TOTAL 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the students should be able to:
- Understand Project Management principles while developing software.
- Gain extensive knowledge about the basic project management concepts, framework and the process models.
- Obtain adequate knowledge about software process models and software effort estimation techniques.
- Estimate the risks involved in various project activities.
- Define the checkpoints, project reporting structure, project progress and tracking mechanisms using project management principles.
- Learn staff selection process and the issues related to people management
1. Bob Hughes, Mike Cotterell and Rajib Mall: Software Project Management – Fifth Edition,Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2012.
1. Robert K. Wysocki ―Effective Software Project Management‖ – Wiley Publication, 2011.
2. Walker Royce: ―Software Project Management‖- Addison-Wesley, 1998.
3. Gopalaswamy Ramesh, ―Managing Global Software Projects‖ – McGraw Hill Education (India), Fourteenth Reprint 2013.
- Regulation 2017 EC8501 Digital Communication Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8351 Electronic Circuits I Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8393 Fundamentals Of Data Structures In C Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 CS8085 Social Network Analysis Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8076 Gpu Architecture and Programming Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation GE8073 Fundamentals of Nano Science Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation IT8077 Speech Processing Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8001 Parallel Algorithms Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8084 Natural Language Processing Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 CS8078 Green Computing Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8080 Information Retrieval Techniques Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation GE8076 Professional Ethics in Engineering Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8086 Soft Computing Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8074 Cyber Forensics Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8087 Software Defined Networks Syllabus