- To present the Digital fundamentals, Boolean algebra and its applications in digital systems
- To familiarize with the design of various combinational digital circuits using logic gates
- To introduce the analysis and design procedures for synchronous and asynchronous sequential circuits
- To explain the various semiconductor memories and related technology
- To introduce the electronic circuits involved in the making of logic gates
UNIT I DIGITAL FUNDAMENTALS 9
Number Systems – Decimal, Binary, Octal, Hexadecimal, 1‗s and 2‗s complements, Codes –Binary, BCD, Excess 3, Gray, Alphanumeric codes, Boolean theorems, Logic gates, Universal gates, Sum of products and product of sums, Minterms and Maxterms, Karnaugh map Minimization and Quine-McCluskey method of minimization.
UNIT II COMBINATIONAL CIRCUIT DESIGN 9
Design of Half and Full Adders, Half and Full Subtractors, Binary Parallel Adder – Carry look ahead Adder, BCD Adder, Multiplexer, Demultiplexer, Magnitude Comparator, Decoder,Encoder, Priority Encoder.
UNIT III SYNCHRONOUS SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS 9
Flip flops – SR, JK, T, D, Master/Slave FF – operation and excitation tables, Triggering of FF,Analysis and design of clocked sequential circuits – Design – Moore/Mealy models, state minimization, state assignment, circuit implementation – Design of Counters- Ripple Counters,Ring Counters, Shift registers, Universal Shift Register.
UNIT IV ASYNCHRONOUS SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS 9
Stable and Unstable states, output specifications, cycles and races, state reduction, race free assignments, Hazards, Essential Hazards, Pulse mode sequential circuits, Design of Hazard free circuits.
UNIT V MEMORY DEVICES AND DIGITAL INTEGRATED CIRCUITS 9
Basic memory structure – ROM -PROM – EPROM – EEPROM –EAPROM, RAM – Static and dynamic RAM – Programmable Logic Devices – Programmable Logic Array (PLA) -Programmable Array Logic (PAL) – Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) – Implementation of combinational logic circuits using PLA, PAL.Digital integrated circuits: Logic levels, propagation delay, power dissipation, fan-out and fanin, noise margin, logic families and their characteristics-RTL, TTL, ECL, CMOS
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course:
- Use digital electronics in the present contemporary world
- Design various combinational digital circuits using logic gates
- Do the analysis and design procedures for synchronous and asynchronous sequential circuits
- Use the semiconductor memories and related technology
- Use electronic circuits involved in the design of logic gates
1. M. Morris Mano and Michael D. Ciletti, ―Digital Design‖, 5th Edition, Pearson, 2014.
- 1. Charles H.Roth. ―Fundamentals of Logic Design‖, 6th Edition, Thomson Learning, 2013.
- 2. Thomas L. Floyd, ―Digital Fundamentals‖, 10th Edition, Pearson Education Inc, 2011
- 3. S.Salivahanan and S.Arivazhagan―Digital Electronics‖, Ist Edition, Vikas Publishing House pvt Ltd, 2012.
- 4. Anil K.Maini ―Digital Electronics‖, Wiley, 2014.
- 5. A.Anand Kumar ―Fundamentals of Digital Circuits‖, 4th Edition, PHI Learning Private Limited, 2016.
- 6. Soumitra Kumar Mandal ― Digital Electronics‖, McGraw Hill Education Private Limited,2016.
- Regulation 2017 PH8253 Physics For Electronics Engineering Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 MG8591 Principles of Management Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 MA8451 Probability And Random Processes Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 MA8352 Linear Algebra And Partial Differential Equations Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 HS8381 Interpersonal Skills Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 GE8077 Total Quality Management Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 GE8075 Intellectual Property Rights Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 GE8074 Human Rights Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8691 Microprocessor and Microcontroller Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8652 Wireless Communication Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8651 Transmission Lines and RF Systems Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8553 Discrete-Time Signal Processing Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8552 Computer Architecture And Organization Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8551 Communication Networks Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 EC8501 Digital Communication Syllabus