To understand data warehouse concepts, architecture, business analysis and tools
To understand data pre-processing and data visualization techniques
To study algorithms for finding hidden and interesting patterns in data
To understand and apply various classification and clustering techniques using tools.
UNIT I DATA WAREHOUSING, BUSINESS ANALYSIS AND ON-LINE ANALYTICAL PROCESSING (OLAP) 9
Basic Concepts – Data Warehousing Components – Building a Data Warehouse – Database Architectures for Parallel Processing – Parallel DBMS Vendors – Multidimensional Data Model –Data Warehouse Schemas for Decision Support, Concept Hierarchies -Characteristics of OLAP Systems – Typical OLAP Operations, OLAP and OLTP.
UNIT II DATA MINING – INTRODUCTION 9
Introduction to Data Mining Systems – Knowledge Discovery Process – Data Mining Techniques – Issues – applications- Data Objects and attribute types, Statistical description of data, Data Preprocessing – Cleaning, Integration, Reduction, Transformation and discretization, Data Visualization, Data similarity and dissimilarity measures.
UNIT III DATA MINING – FREQUENT PATTERN ANALYSIS 9
Mining Frequent Patterns, Associations and Correlations – Mining Methods- Pattern Evaluation Method – Pattern Mining in Multilevel, Multi Dimensional Space – Constraint Based Frequent Pattern Mining, Classification using Frequent Patterns
UNIT IV CLASSIFICATION AND CLUSTERING 9
Decision Tree Induction – Bayesian Classification – Rule Based Classification – Classification by Back Propagation – Support Vector Machines –– Lazy Learners – Model Evaluation and Selection-Techniques to improve Classification Accuracy.Clustering Techniques – Cluster analysis-Partitioning Methods – Hierarchical Methods – Density Based Methods – Grid Based Methods – Evaluation of clustering – Clustering high dimensional data- Clustering with constraints, Outlier analysis-outlier detection methods.
UNIT V WEKA TOOL 9
Datasets – Introduction, Iris plants database, Breast cancer database, Auto imports database -Introduction to WEKA, The Explorer – Getting started, Exploring the explorer, Learning algorithms,Clustering algorithms, Association–rule learners.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
Upon completion of the course, the students should be able to:
Design a Data warehouse system and perform business analysis with OLAP tools.
Apply suitable pre-processing and visualization techniques for data analysis
Apply frequent pattern and association rule mining techniques for data analysis
Apply appropriate classification and clustering techniques for data analysis
1. Jiawei Han and Micheline Kamber, ―Data Mining Concepts and Techniques‖, Third Edition,Elsevier, 2012.
1. Alex Berson and Stephen J.Smith, ―Data Warehousing, Data Mining & OLAP‖, Tata McGraw – Hill Edition, 35th Reprint 2016.
2. K.P. Soman, Shyam Diwakar and V. Ajay, ―Insight into Data Mining Theory and Practice‖,Eastern Economy Edition, Prentice Hall of India, 2006.
3. Ian H.Witten and Eibe Frank, ―Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques‖, Elsevier, Second Edition.
- Regulation 2017 GE8151 Problem Solving and Python Programming Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 CS8251 Programming in C Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CS8391 Data Structures Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 CS8392 Object Oriented Programming Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation Computer Science Engineering Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 HS8151 Communicative English Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 MA8151 Engineering Mathematics I Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation PH8151 Engineering Physics Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation CY8151 Engineering Chemistry Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation GE8152 Engineering Graphics Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 HS8251 Technical English Syllabus
- 2017 Regulation MA8251 Engineering Mathematics II Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 PH8252 Physics for Information Science Syllabus
- BE8255 Basic Electrical and Electronics and Measurement Engineering Syllabus
- Regulation 2017 GE8291 Environmental Science and Engineering